Sunday, May 6, 2012

JUST BELLA

We have taken Bella a few places over the last couple of days.  Between all the doctor appointments and the other kiddos stuff we have been a little busy.   It has been..interesting to adjust to some things that having a preemie baby brings.  As many of you know, our sweet Bella has a baseball sized fluid pocket on her head.  It does look abnormal.  It is also one of the first things you notice.  Being around her all the time I am used to it.  I just see Bella.  Over the last few days we have gotten several different "looks" when people see her for the first time.  I am happy to say that most people are very sweet and compassionate when they ask what is wrong with our baby.  A few have given us the what I call "pity" look.  And even fewer have looked at us like we were carrying around an ape instead of a baby.  At first it was hard for me.  I want people to see Bella for the miracle that she is, not the lump on the side of her head.  And then I realized if I want people to see Isabelle as I see her, I need to be ready so share her story (tears and all).  Because when you tell them she is a 24 weeker who had a bilateral grade 4 brain bleed, chronic lung disease, coded a couple of times, required several blood transfusions, had stage 2 ROP, has had 2 surgeries to place shunts (hence the lump on the head), that she defied odds again and again you begin to see the looks on their faces change.  I then get to bear my witness that God is real.  That Christ lives.  That miracles still happen.  That even though I would never have said "pick me" to the whole preemie roller coaster, I can now see even more blessings that have come to our family.

I hope that as we continue on this new path that God has set before us that I can continue to see, and help others see: JUST BELLA.




3 comments:

  1. she is so beautiful!!! I love her eyes.

    xo, Niny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah.. that gave me chills.

    -Monica follett

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is SO beautifully written. That is how we all want our preemies to be seen, as the miracles that they are...rather than for their illnesses or disabilities or the way they look. Your little girl is absolutely perfect and beautiful, and don't ever let anyone tell you otherwise! I'm so glad you posted the link to your blog, now I can see lots of cute pictures of her! :)

    ReplyDelete