Saturday, September 29, 2012

Cerebal Palsy and other stuff :)

It is now almost October and I haven't been as faithful about updating this as I wanted to be.  My desire is there, my time is not.  Things have been crazy like usual at the Price house.  To start let me update you on Bella's current stats.

Age:  Bella is 9.5 months, 5.5 months adjusted.
Height is still hovering at about 24 inches (double her birth length).
Weight is 10lbs 13oz (we might hit 12lbs by a year if we are lucky).
She is doing twice a week therapy and we will be working on.....eating baby food soon.  We have an appointment in Salt Lake in 2 weeks to follow up on her head.  Her ventricles seem to be stable but not getting better so I don't know what they will say when we go back. 

We had an appointment with a neurologist last week and got an official cerebral palsy diagnosis.  The official paperwork says "spastic quadriplegic, presenting with diplegia and hemiparalysis"  whew, that is a mouthful.  What does that mean for our sweet Bella?  That she has trouble moving her arms and legs the proper way.  So, we do lots and lots of therapy.  She is developmentally behind.  She is at a 3 to 4 month age range.

I will be honest, I cried and cried the day we found out.  I still get choked up about it sometimes.  No one wants to see there child struggle to do what seems to be easy normal things.  Things that until now I have taken for granted.  I am realizing with every passing day that her diagnosis doesn't have to define her.  She is only as disabled as we let her believe she is.  So my goal is to help without enabling her.  This is a learn as you go adventure and I am sure we will have set backs and times when we feel like we are at rock bottom.  I know that with my Savior and the support of family and friends we can make it through.

Bella is the happiest baby I know.  She is full of smiles and will occasionally give you a giggle.  She tolerates being poked and prodded pretty good.  Although, she lets her therapist know when she isn't liking life.  She has rolled over (back to belly) a few times.  We are working on sitting in the "Bumbo" chair.

Her eyes are still not focusing right.  We see an eye therapist (who knew about eye therapists?) in a few weeks and then will follow up with the eye doctor in November.  I am thinking they will probably have to do surgery to align her eyes and then she will needs glasses.  I think once they can get her eyes focusing right she will improve with her hand movements.

I am learning that patience is a hard thing to learn and that answers to prayers sometimes come one milestone at a time.  I thought that when I got that sure answer to my prayer that Bella's head would be fine that it was going to be a "right away thing", I am finally understanding that that isn't the case. 

What does the future hold for Bella?  Honestly, I don't know.  So, I will cherish today and work hard on the things that will give her a better tomorrow.   I will thank my Heavenly Father every day that she got to stay her with us.  I will celebrate her sweet spirit and give her millions of kisses.  I will love her sibling more and find the beauty in all the blessings we have.


1 comment:

  1. What a little sweet pea!! I'm sure hearing the official "diagnosis" is so hard, but she has already come so far and she will continue to do great things. You are a wonderful mommy!

    ReplyDelete