Thursday, April 3, 2014

Bella update


I said I would be better about blogging and I haven't been.  The only excuse I have is that, well, life is busy!  Things are good.  For the first time in a long time there are no surgeries in the near future and no medical issues causing us major stress.  We are finally just getting to enjoy life and what our new normal is.  Knock on wood and lots of prayers it stays that way!!  Now I'm not saying there is no stress or worry but it isn't like it was when we were dealing with head surgeries, failure to thrive, g tube surgeries, and eye surgeries.  Now we worry about our house not being practical for a growing child with multiple disabilities and well as the fact that the equipment that goes with said child is getting heavier as well.

Bella is really doing well.  She currently has a fever and isn't feeling well but other than that things are good.  She weighs 23 pounds and is about 32.5 inches long.  She was growing so good in fact that we had to reduce her calories.  That was something I thought I would never hear about Bella.  She was actually gaining weight too fast....go figure!  She is still 100% tube fed and while I want her to eat by mouth, I don't stress about it too much anymore.  It is such a relief to be able to get her the nutrients she needs without it consuming my entire life.  She is also now big enough to be forward facing in her carseat and boy does she love it.  Now we can't go anywhere without a DVD playing.  She loves to smile and laugh and wait for it............she has started saying words!!!!!!!!!!!!  Can I be more excited?  I think not!!!!  She says: mama (music to my ears), dada, nana (for granny), bebe, aa (for Ally), aba (for Abby), bubble, and more.  She hasn't quite figured out Dallin yet.  She is still working hard in therapy and we are getting closer to sitting up.  She loves the water!!  And will let you walk her around everywhere until you feel like your back might break from being hunched over.  She also loves to swing.
 
I finally feel like we are leaving the world of extreme prematurity and entering a whole new journey of adjusting to special needs and all it entails.  The details of her birth will always be overwhelming and scary but they don't dominate my thoughts anymore.  As always we appreciate the prayers and encouragement from you all!!




No comments:

Post a Comment