This morning we received news that Bella had some blood in her stool. Her blood counts are down also. Dr worried about NEC which is common in neonates of Bella's age. It's a condition that is related to lack of oxygenation to an area of the bowel & it essentially dies. Her abdominal x-ray does not show she has this, but her chest x-ray was worse this am. She had been tolerating her feedings with minimal leftover in her stomach and she continues to have regular stools. But with the potential of this NEC they have to treat by resting the bowels & starting antibiotics. They will also start TPN (IV food), and give another blood transfusion. She appears to be having everything a 24 wk neonate can have in way of complications. Her sodium level is up but they cannot start the med to help close the PDA (which would help her lungs)while she has possibility of NEC.
So we wait. Pray. Wonder how much more she can take, how much more we have to endure as her parents & continue to wonder what more is there to learn from this trial. It's very hard to stay positive when all u hear is mostly negative news. How does one keep up daily emotional strength when it's sucked out of u consistently?


Not sure what to say to offer the hope, encouragement, or peace I wish for you & Becky. I watch your site daily & pray. May God's own hand hold your Bella through the night.
ReplyDeleteHi Becky this is Kirsten...Ayme's friend. I'm also Landon's mother and this might not be too comforting, but I just want you to know you are not alone. I was reading through your last few posts and Landon went through pretty much the exact same things as Bella is going through. He basically had everything wrong that a baby could have from his birth age too. They also thought Landon might have had NEC, they stopped feeds, put him on the yellow liquid for a week and we waited it out. It was heart wrenching because once they start moving up their feeds you start getting excited and then you get a big blow like that. But I'm here to tell you there is a light at the end if the tunnel! (It's a LONG ways away, but it is there!) I will continue to have faith and pray for your little Bella and I look forward to meeting you one day too. With all that is going one I know how hard it is to see one hour ahead let alone months, but Bella will be in your arms at home soon and before you know it a year will have gone by.
ReplyDeleteWow, Matt. It's me, Emily Brandt (Anderson), from high school. My sister, Erica just let me know about what you are going through, and I have looked through this blog. What a difficult time your family is going through right now. I am so sorry to hear about it. I am glad to read that you and your wife are relying on the Lord. No one can give greater comfort than Him. And, no one understands better than Him. These things I do know.
ReplyDeleteYour family will be in my prayers. Always lean on the Lord and find strength and comfort in Him.
Emily Brandt Anderson