Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Surgery Tomorrow...Prayers please!


So, we were hoping to avoid Bella needing another shunt but it looks like she needs one. Her right ventricle is still enlarged and the neurosurgeon feels it is time to do something. We were given the option of doing a VP (permanent shunt) or another temporary one. After a lot of thought and prayer and talking with the doctors, we have decided to do another temporary one. We are in hopes that this will allow Bella's brain more time to figure out how to reabsorb the CSF. She goes to surgery at 9am on Weds (tomorrow).

As many of you know we have been in the hospital since Sat. night. I am amazed again how the Lord sends the right people to help at the specific time. Thanks, to her nurse Miranda for talking with me at all hours of the night, giving me insight and encouragement. And thanks to Julie and Natalie for talking through each option with me and sharing your opinions.

St. Mary's really has an amazing NICU and Peds staff. While Peds has been GREAT, I must admit that I am grateful to be going to the NICU post surgery to recover. You don't spend 101 days in the hospital without forming strong attachments. I am attached to the nurses, doctors, the refreshment fridge, and dare I even say that I didn't mind pumping in the "torture chamber" (mother's room) the other night.

We ask that you pray for Bella, that she will tolerate the procedure and be able to come off the ventilator quickly. That this operation will be the last. That her head will heal and reabsorb the CSF on its own. Please also pray for her surgeon and the OR staff as well as the other nurses and doctors that will care for her. Specifically that the surgeons hands will be guided and she will be open to inspiration. And mostly, thanks to Heavenly Father for the many blessings he gives us daily.

Thank you all for continuing to support our family and follow little Miss Bella Grace.

Becky

4 comments:

  1. You guys are in my thoughts and prayers. Love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hoping and praying Bella's procedure goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh geeze.....I'm so sorry you guys had to go back to the NICU, I hate hearing that sweet Bella needed another shunt and surgery. Enough is enough....you guys deserve a medal! Well keep hope, God is with you and watching over all of you. Bella is a fighter and will continue to be. I am so glad to hear however that you had the support of your NICU family, that too meant the world to us.

    ReplyDelete